Frank L. Blum Construction Company was selected as the construction manager to help transform the former Glade Street YWCA, a Winston-Salem landmark, into a new residential neighborhood in the heart of the historic West End neighborhood.
Additions made to the YWCA building through the years were removed to reveal the rich architectural detailing of the original 1942 structure, designed by prominent Winston-Salem architect Harold Macklin, and constructed by Blum Construction. The 12,237-square-foot building was then converted into seven residential condominiums, with each one finished to the specifications of the owner.
A new roadway was constructed from Clover Street through the heart of the property to serve fifteen new single-family home sites. This provided ample green spaces for the enjoyment of the residents and the neighborhood.
The entire development will seek a LEED® for Neighborhood Development designation, which celebrates the integration of smart growth principles, urbanism, and green building in neighborhood design.