Blum Construction Begins Restoration of the Boys' School at Old Salem Museum and Gardens
March 1, 2017
On a crisp, sunny morning, many gathered to celebrate the groundbreaking of the Boys' School project at Old Salem. Members and supporters of the Old Salem community, along with County dignitaries and Frank L. Blum Construction Company, kicked off the event by remembering the history of the structure that was built in 1794 to provide schooling for both boys and girls. The building, one of America's earliest existing structures, will be restored for use as an interpretive museum, providing a platform for the story of education in Old Salem in the 18th century.
The restoration, designed by Pennsylvania-based John Milner Architects, Inc., will include roofing, windows, interior updates, mechanical, electrical, and structural systems. In addition to the building restoration, the yard and a piazza will be reconstructed for outside activities and investigations, replicating facilities originally available to students at the Boys' School. The piazza will include outdoor classroom spaces, and a woodshed will also be reconstructed to include visitor restrooms and a basement mechanical room. The project is scheduled for completion in November.